POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Obscurity : Re: Obscurity Server Time
4 Oct 2024 19:18:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Obscurity
From: Ken
Date: 21 Mar 1999 13:59:24
Message: <36F540AA.5540BCA5@pacbell.net>
Spider wrote:

> whoooa...
> are they height_fields ??
>
> they look great..

 Your not going to believe the simplicity of this. The main wall is
nothing more than a plane at z,0.1 . I then applied a .dem converted
to .tga as a bumpmap. I let it tile it self in all directions. I took
the same image and produced a 256 gray scale .tga from it and applied
it as an image map with the same scale and rotations as the bump map
for the colors you see.  That is how I managed to get exactly 256
shades of gray in this image. ?:)

  This was looking ok but it was too uniform and you could see the
repetition in the tiling effect. I tried to think of a way around it
and for the first time ever it occured to me that it might just be
possible to add turbulence to an image map and bump map. I tried it
and guess what ? It worked. Not only did it get rid of the repeat
tiling artifacts it also gave those really nice looking wandering
cracks you see in the image. There is one HF object way to the right
of the image to block the dark sky but was not really needed for the
it to work.

  The plane in the foreground was also treated the same as the vertical
wall.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net